Monday, July 13, 2015

♦ Art Appreciation Monday! ♦

Hello and welcome to another Art Appreciation Monday! 
It has been awhile since I've been on my blog, (apologies) but I've been busy, and as they say never ruin an apology with an excuse so...I'll leave you in suspense as to what I do. :)

This Monday I get to feature a band, it's my first time interviewing two people in one go, but I think it was absolutely amazing! I want to introduce you to:******drum roll*****
The extraordinary band, love+war and it's members, Ron Robinson lead guitar/production and Coury Palermo vocals/production!

With a beautiful music video to go along with it, love+war puts a new twist on Monument like you've never heard before, I cannot get their version of this song out of my head and it is like a wonderful pain- to hear this song over and over and over again in the dark of night and not be able to sleep because it is stuck in your head! 



Ariana: What's your name?
Coury: Coury Palermo

Ariana: What's the name of your band?
Coury: love+war

Ariana: How many members are in your band?
Coury: Two.  Ron Robinson & myself


Ariana: What Country/Planet/State are you from?
Coury: We are both from California and currently live in Nashville, TN

Ariana: Do you have any pets?
Coury: Yes.  A dog named Hank

Ariana: What is your favourite colour?
Coury: Olive/Army Green

Ariana: Do you have a favorite food/drink?
Coury: We are huge foodies in our house.  There are a few favorite spots in Nashville that always hit the spot: Favorite coffee shop: The Post.  Favorite Burger: The Pharmacy.  Favorite Pizza: Two Boots.  Favorite Dinner Spot: Lockland Table.  I’m a cappuccino/black tea with a baked good kind-of-guy.  That is comfort to me.
Ron: A perfectly cooked medium-rare New York Strip or Filet will do the trick at J Alexander’s here in South Nashville.  (along with their baked mac and cheese on the side) I’m a big fan!  For coffee it would be just a good French Pressed black coffee or a well-made espresso drink.  And finally, finishing off the day with Jameson on the rocks, or two, or….

Ariana: Favourite movie?
Coury: Too many to name.  A recent new favorite is "Wild".

Ariana: Favourite song?
Coury: Again - tough to name just one.  If I had to pick just one it would be "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)" by the Eurythmics.
Ron: In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel)

Ariana: Favourite book?
Coury: Anything by David Sedaris or Maya Angelou (especially "Wouldn't Take Nothing For My Journey Now")

Ariana: Currently reading?
Coury: "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim"




Ariana: What inspires you most to sing and perform?
Coury: The melancholy in life inspires me the most.  Failures – the broken parts of us all.  I tend to be drawn to anything that punches you in the gut (emotionally).
Ron: It’s always something different. Whether it’s the place I’m performing, the material, or both. Even if it’s just a night in the studio, every time is different.  It can be needed therapy for daily life,  a chance to check out/escape from it or even “use it” for inspiration.


Ariana: How do you cope with lack of inspiration?
Coury: I write something everyday.  I can't say that I've ever "hit a wall" or not been inspired by life around me.  Now that doesn't mean what comes of it isn't total shit (most of the time), but I've been pretty lucky thus far :).  No writers block yet (knock on wood).
Ron: Most of the time I write with someone else (or multiple people) in the room. We’ll all start throwing around ideas we’ve had, or maybe just a line or 2 one of us has wrote down, then it’s off to the races.  When it’s multiple people writing it helps a lot with inspiration. Everyone is just feeding off each other.


Ariana: To return to singing...do you perform live anywhere?
Coury: We have yet to do a live show, but that is in the works for this fall.

Ariana: love+war released the album, Ghosts Volume One on Noisetrade, (Which is SUPER AWESOME!) Are you pleased at the response you've gotten from releasing the album?
Coury: Thank you!  Very pleased.  We were blown away by the response and are so excited to get some of our original music out there.
Ron: Very Pleased! It was more then I expected.  All of the re-posts and comments from people were so positive and inspiring.  I loved to hear how something that moved me in a certain way while working on it would move someone else in a different way. Music is powerful, and I love that people enjoy ours so far.

Ariana: Why did you choose the songs you did for the first volume of Ghosts?
Coury: Some were favorites (In Your Eyes), and others we just kind of stumbled upon (Monument).  We were finding our sound during the recording of Ghosts, and I feel like "Monument" really represents a piece of where we'd like to be sonically.  I’m a huge Robyn/Royksopp fan and had been singing that song in the car all summer.
We took a stab at a mellow, more “singer-songwriter” version – in an effort to show off the lyrics a little more.  I think there’s a tension in our version that wasn’t in the original; something a little more mournful.  I still bump the original on the regular – so good.
Ron: Sometimes they’re just favorite songs of ours. I believe we found a way to make these our own (arrangement/sound wise) while still paying homage to the original in some way.

Ariana: Why release the album Ghosts as free for download? Surely for all your hard work you ought to be paid for the time you spent on the songs.
Coury: It never hurts to have an "introduction" as a new band.  I think in today’s landscape you have to establish a conversation when you're "the new kid".  We wanted to give people a taste and let them know what they can expect on our proper debut.  I love what Noisetrade is trying to do for the community.  Partnering just felt like the right way to say, “hey, we’re here”.

Ariana: Of all the songs you've written/altered/sang/performed so far, which one is your favorite? Coury: There's a song off our forthcoming debut EP called "Lies" that I'm crazy about.  I've waiting my entire life to write and record a song like this.  To me it's like the first song I ever wrote.  This is the new “bar”.  I can't wait to perform it live.
Ron: I would imagine that’s like trying to say as a parent “I love this child more then that one” lol.  To be fair, there are “kids” who haven’t even been “born yet” or are still “in the womb/development” so how can I chose my favorite kid?? (*side note* that said, I love our “In your eyes” child the most of the “born children”)


Ariana: What would you suggest for someone who is just beginning with their musical career? Coury: Do it because you can't breathe without it.  If you want celebrity, fame, wealth or any of the other trappings that only diminish why we create - just stop and be ANYTHING ELSE.
Ron: 100%. Be yourself no matter what it is you bring to the table. Don’t imitate someone else’s sound or image. Your music needs to be “your” heartbeat.  Music fans are looking for the next “new thing” that will move them.  Why would I want to buy your CD when it sounds just like another one I already own? You know?

Ariana: You also change the feeling of popular songs in a way that, almost makes them a completely different song except for the lyrics, how do you begin re-writing the sound?
 Coury: A cover is not worth doing unless you can make it your own and somehow retain the familiarity of the original.  We tried to approach each song as if we were putting it on an album of ours.  Since we had yet to record an original "love+war" song when we began cutting Ghosts, it was a challenge to make sure we were staying true to what our sound would eventually be.  I never want to "make something sound a certain way" for the sake of appeal.  It's really about sitting down with your instrument and letting the song come out naturally.  That was the goal at least.

Ariana: What is something that you haven't gotten to do yet, but really want to do someday?
Coury: There is a venue in Nashville called the Ryman.  It's an old church that was converted into a concert hall.  I've watched the favorite shows of my life in that building.  It would be the ultimate dream to play there someday.
Ron: Absolutely agree on The Ryman. I would also like to take our original material and play live to audiences in different countries as well.

Ariana: Is there anyone you'd really, really want to sing/perform with in the future? Maybe even have a cameo in a film or show?
Coury: There are so many singers I would love to perform with.  I would have to say top of the list goes to Annie Lennox.  She has been my greatest influence.
Ron: Peter Gabriel AND Annie Lennox.  Other notables (not in any order) , Paul McCartney, Prince, Tony Bennett.
As for a cameo in a film or tv show, Well if things go south in the future “musically” you may see me on “Pawn Stars” selling all of my gear. Fingers crossed to never meet “The Old Man and Chumlee” at the pawn shop.

Ariana: Do you believe in trade secrets for your music, or would you help other musicians by sharing your knowledge?
Coury: I think everyone's journey is different.  I'm not sure there is a trade secret.  If there is, it's hard work and realizing you never stop learning.  There's never a "I finally arrived".  The quicker you learn that the better.
Ron: I don’t think there is a grand all trade secret (At least not for the music that I love to create and listen to). Then again, depending on what you want to do there may be. I guess if you want to go into music for the fame and just to be popular then your trade secret would be “Say yes to everything, be willing to do anything and be willing to be the puppet while someone else controls the strings. Ugh, that world of “music” just makes me ill, wait, not “music”, let’s just call it “entertainment”. It’s all about the money and the fame, not the art.

Ariana: When did you decide you wanted to get a group together and perform such soulful and beautiful covers?
Coury: It was a bit random.  Ron & I started writing together last summer after not seeing each other for a few years.  It was a gradually evolution into what has now become love+war.  I've never been more proud to work with someone in my life.  He's ridiculous.
Ron: It’s a mutual respect to start with. We work well together. We’ve worked on multiple albums in the past together but it was never “our own” project. Until now, It’s really exciting. Coury is honestly one of the best singers I’ve ever had the pleasure to work with.

Ariana: Do you have any interests outside of music?
Coury: I love to cook/bake. Travel.  I hope at some point to release a book of short stories and a collection of children's books.
Ron: I’ve always been a sports guy. I’ll pretty much watch it if it’s a sport.  Baseball is my favorite.

Ariana: What would you be doing now, if you hadn't pursued music?
Coury: I would more than likely do something in video production or photography.
Ron: Making more money then I do now. (that’s a joke… sort of) ha

Ariana: How do you wind down after a day of performing?
Coury: Sweats, food and the DVR (or Netflix).
Ron: Jameson on the rocks. And those pointless TV shows that help us all feel better about our own lives. Haha.

Ariana: What would your advice to other artists and singers/songwriters/musicians be?
Coury: Remember you’re different for a reason.  Be that and not what someone thinks you should be/sound like.

Ariana: Finally, can you give us any spoilers for your next song?!
Coury: We are three songs into our first collection of originals and two songs into our holiday EP.  Expect even more soul and maybe a song or two you would hear at the skating rink ;).


If you enjoyed this interview with Coury Palermo and Ron Robinson, and you would like to find out more about the band love+war visit their website here!
Follow them on Facebook, and Twitter!
You can listen to love+war on SoundCloud



Thank you so very much, Coury and Ron for taking the time to respond to my questions (and for their patience waiting for my questions!). I also want to thank them for their inspiration and their kindness to the community for creating such fantastic music for everyone to enjoy! 


*****All the pictures/videos/music belongs to love+war!!!! There are links in blue which will direct you to the originals/and/webpages.**********
DO NOT USE ANY OF THE PICTURES/or/WRITTEN WORK 


POSTED HERE WITHOUT PERMISSION!!!!!!! 


If you wish to contact love+war please click here.




1 comment:

  1. NIce - very nice - love your conversational tone and how you got some juicy reveals - nice.

    ReplyDelete